Cheese Chopper Cookbook Part 4: Nadia’s French Croque Monsieur
| Mr. Cheese
You can never go wrong with a delicious sandwich but what better sandwich than the French staple Croque Monsieur. This can also be thought of as French grilled cheese! This one is sure to have you drooling and your stomach growling just by the thought of it, so let’s jump right in!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- dash of salt and pepper
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- bread of choice
- 6 oz. Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 6-8 slices of ham
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add milk, stirring well until the mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened.
- Season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and whisk in mustard and nutmeg. Set aside while you make the sandwiches or make the sauce up to 1 week in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Spread each bread slice with a layer of bechamel, spreading it all the way to the edges.
- Place 4 slices of bread, bechamel side up, on a prepared baking sheet.
- Top each with a piece of ham, a handful of gruyere, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Place remaining sliced of bread on top, bechamel side up, then top with remaining gruyere and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 5-6 minutes, until cheese is melted, and then turn over to broil until the cheese on top is lightly golden, 2-4 minutes.
We hope you love the French Croque Monsieur! This fancy, crunchy, cheesy, and warm sandwich is sure to bring your taste buds so much joy! Make sure you remember to tag us in your Ancho Chili Nachos on instagram and TikTok @thecheesechopper
If you still need a Cheese Chopper click here!Want to join the chef’s club!? Submit your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured!!!